Plymouth rock chicken is a dual purpose breed developed in america. main colour is Barred it give 220 eggs per year per hen. standart weifght of cock 4.2kg
Plymouth Rock is an American class breed. It is one of the Popular breeds of America. This breed is developed in 1869 in Worcester, city of Massachusetts. The breed is mainly used for meat but it is the dual purpose breed used for both meat and egg. it is the belief that Plymouth rock is the cross result of Dominique and Black Java.
Plymouth Rock has six variety which is Barred, silver penciled, white, Buff, Columbian, and Partridge.
Plymouth rocks chicken grow rapidly and it has very much demand in the market. They produce a brown egg of large size. it lays around 200 to 220 eggs per hen per year. Plymouth rock performs better in both free range backyard or for commercial purpose.
- 1 Varieties
- 2 Facts and Productivity of Plymouth Rock chicken
- 3 Characteristics of Plymouth rock chicken
- 4 Appearance of Plymouth rock chicken
- 5 Meat production
- 6 Eggs production
- 7 Space requirement
- 8 Nursery Management for Plymouth rock chicks
- 9 Basic care and management
- 10 Why choose Plymouth rocks?
- 11 Is Plymouth rock is good for your Farm?
Plymouth rock is mainly known from the barred variety. In which Barred is firstly developed in 1869. The other variety of Plymouth rock generated from the barred variety. out of six variety, 75% is barred Plymouth rock and the remaining variety are only 25% it is the most commercially used breed for meat in America. It is the heavy breed compared to Rohde island red.
Facts and Productivity of Plymouth Rock chicken
|Name of Breed||Plymouth Rock|
|Other Name of Breed||Barred Rock, Rocks|
|Comb type||Single comb|
|Cock weight||4 kg to 4.2 kg (8.8 lbs to 9.2 lbs).|
|Cockrel weight||3.5 kg (7.8 lbs)|
|Hen weight||3 kg to 3.4 kg (6.6 lbs to 7.4 lbs).|
|Pullet weight||2.6 kg (5.8 lbs)|
|Egg capacity per year||200-220 eggs|
|Age at first Egg (days)||140-150|
|Egg weight||45-50 g|
|Survivability % upto 6 weeks||98|
Characteristics of Plymouth rock chicken
Plymouth is normally docile and active in nature but the rooster is a bit aggressive and noisy some times.
These breeds give maximum profit the flock owner and there is a huge demand for its meat. This is the excellent broiler breed and gives maximum returns in 9 to 12 weeks, its fast-growing qualities make it a favorite breed of poultry farmers.
Perform better in poor housing condition or in limited ration.
White Plymouth rock is in pure white color plumage. White Plymouth rock is using mainly in commercial broiler industry because it’s mature early. Use For the meat purpose.
Appearance of Plymouth rock chicken
The barred color of breed gives an excellent look to the farm in free-range Farming.
Plymouth Rock is a single comb breed. Both cock and hen has a single comb on the head. The red color comb with vertical number of the tip, small in size, which is round in shape from the side view gives them a beautiful look.
All the varieties have single comb.
Its shape is medium in size and length with a broad back, deep and full breast. Feathers are soft and heavy.
Large bright eyes are orange in color. Ear lobes and wattles have soft or red in color. Wattles are long and equal and round from the bottom. Ear lobes are half of the wattles.
Tail spreads well and inclined or medium in length.
Thick and strong beaks which is curved or yellow in color
Shanks are medium in length, straight, and free from feathers. Toes are straight and free from feathers.straight and free from feathers.
As compared to barred Plymouth rock the other varieties of Plymouth rock white, buff, partridge, silver penciled and Columbian. the only difference is color. The size, weight, shape and other physical characteristics are the same.
The breed is mainly used for meat purpose. The feed conversion ratio of Plymouth rock from feed to meat is quite good that’s why its mainly used for meat purpose. The breed is very good in weight gain and provides delicious chicken for us. the egg-laying hens after 72nd week are used for meat.
The average standard weight of cock ranges between 4 kg to 4.2 kg (8.8 lbs to 9.2 lbs).
The average standard weight of Hen ranges between 3 kg to 3.4 kg (6.6 lbs to 7.4 lbs).
Plymouth rock is good layer as well as a good mother. They lay around 200 to 220 eggs in a year. It starts to lay eggs in 19th to 20th weeks and continue to lay up to 72 weeks. It lays 4 to 5 eggs in a week.
In brooder house upto 8 weeks 0.7 sqft is sufficient per chicks.
In grower house 9 to 16 weeks 1 sqft is sufficient per chicken.
In layer house above 17 weeks 2 sqft if sufficient per bird.
Nursery Management for Plymouth rock chicks
the caring of chicks to maintain their body temperature from day 1 to 60th-day brooding house needed. Normally electric bulb is used in brooder house as a source of heat to minimize the mortality. Which is quietly required to maintain temperature.
for better health of the chicks provide them quality feed. The quality feed gives quality results. The feed should be packed with proper amount carbohydrates, protein, vitamins and minerals.
Prior vaccination is better than cure. Plymouth rock needs protection against New castle disease and Infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) or other viral or bacterial disease. So flock owner should follow the proper Vaccination from day 1 for the better productivity and growth of the chickens.
Basic care and management
- The shelter should be well ventilated, feeder and drinker always remain in the house. maintain the temperature in the shed according to age.
- House should be clean disinfected, free from the rates, mice, flies and needs protection against the predators.
- Protect against the weather. during winter season provide heat in the house. Or during accessive rain protect birds from the rain.
- Overcrowding causes a lot of viral and bacterial disease, so don’t overcrowd the birds in the house.
- Deworming and debeaking are essential for Plymouth rock chicken.
Why choose Plymouth rocks?
Is Plymouth rock is good for your Farm?
- The feed intake of Plymouth rocks is comparatively less while it gives more amount of meat and egg for us.
- Plymouth rock has fair foraging ability.
- This breed give quick returns of investment and rapidly grow and achieve very good weight in a short time
- Plymouth rock show broodiness and its excellent mother or docile in nature.
- The barred color gives a beautiful look to the bird. These breeds give excellent look to the farm in the free range system.
- Dual purpose breed, full fill the protein requirement of the family from eggs and meat.